Saturday 30 July 2011

My Scan

We undertook the journey to London yesterday for my scan and after it taking just an hour to get from here to East London we thought we were far too early.  It then took us 2 hours to drive about 7 miles and we were 5 minutes late!

I was anxious and nervous all morning, especially so when we arrived.  We sat in the plush waiting room to be called in but luckily for us they were running around 10 minutes late so we didn't miss our appointment.  We were called in and greeted warming by the dr performing the scan.  In the waiting room we'd filled out a form detailing the previous history and he referenced that before doing the scan.  He was aware of, and mentioned, our previous stillbirth and the 6 miscarriages I've had.  I laid on the bed in the dimly lit room and looked at the scanning machine in anticipation and fear, with a little bit of hope mixed in too.  He squirted some gel on my stomach and then started scanning.  Almost immediately we saw a tiny baby and then a flickering!  There was a heartbeat!

I was very overwhelmed and had a lump in my throat and a catch in my voice when I spoke.  There was our little baby with its heart beating away strongly.  I'm measuring around 6 weeks with is consistent with my previous scan.  The dr took his time scanning and measured the heart rate which was 129bpm and the baby measured a tiny 5mm.  Now it feels real.

We went back to the waiting room to wait for the report and he came out to speak to us.  He said that they'd like to offer us a follow up scan in 10 days time as a reassurance for us, free of charge.  He made it clear that he didn't think there was anything wrong but that based on my history the reassurance could be beneficial.  He recognised that we'd travelled a distance to be there but that we were invited to take up their offer.  We accepted and booked a date with them.  I was very impressed with the level of care and compassion which we were shown by The Fetal Medicine Centre and would definitely recommend them.  I received from them, (in my first visit since I was pregnant with my 9 year old daughter) more consideration for our losses than we did from the NHS who were present throughout it all.

I intend to upload some photos soon to share ranging back through some previous posts and will get my recent scan photo scanned in too.  I'm not getting my hopes up too much but it looks promising so far.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment